Saturday, January 21, 2012

My Science Autobiography & Philosophy:



I must first begin by explaining that I graduated from a school that is from Kindergarten through twelfth grade, so I did not have to change schools.  I can not necessarily remember what happened in elementary school regarding science; however, I can certainly remember what science was all about when I moved up to high school.  High school began in seventh grade which meant, moving from elementary to being with the big, intimidating high school boys and girls.   I remember just like it was yesterday.  I had a coach for a science teacher.  His name was Coach Chaney.  Every week we did the same thing.  Due to the repetitive schedule of activities each week, I quickly became bored with this class.  He would place the schedule for the week on the board.  It would read, “Read chapter one, answer the questions at the end, define vocabulary words, and a quiz on Friday.”  I thought this was normal because we did that sort of thing in elementary school.  So, I did not know any better.   I did however; find out that science was my favorite subject as time went on.  In eleventh and twelfth grade anatomy began and I found science extremely fascinating. 
            I did not however have a great experience with science in the seventh grade but as I progressed in high school, science became and still is my favorite subject.  I have some fond memories from my anatomy class in high school that I will never forget.  Anatomy class was at the worst possible time of the day, after lunch!  At first, I hated it with a passion, but as time went on with dissecting and learning the parts of the body I fell in love with anatomy.  I truly wanted to become an x-ray technician before entering education.  I had a great experience with science in eleventh and twelfth grade and realized it was due to my teacher allowing us to be more hands on and participating in fun activities.  I want the same for my  students.  I want them to be able to remember that one time in science class or be able to remember all the bones in the body.  With my students, I want learning to be a fun and exciting experience.  Of course, students in lower grades would not dissect certain animals but so many activities can be used to make science a fun subject to learn.  For example, the game operation could be used in the place of dissecting for lower elementary students as well as higher elementary grades.  For learning the bones of the body or any vocabulary for science, I would like to implement songs as memorization tools.  Not only will the students be having a great time singing and having fun but secretly they will be learning new material without even realizing. 

           

No comments:

Post a Comment