Thursday, April 12, 2012

Making Science Fun...Let's Include Manipulatives!

All Hands In

What are manipulatives you ask?  They are teaching aids and visuals that the students get to engage with.  Manipulatives can also include field trips.  I am not sure about you but as a teacher my classroom is hands on at all times!!!  Being hands on is so important.  Not only are students getting the full effect of the lesson but they are able to be engaged and interested in what they are doing!  Who wants the some ole' status quo routine?  Not me!  Let's make learning fun.  I used manipulatives when teaching my Kindergarten students how to classify objects as solids or liquids.

FIRST OF ALL: 

I included technology, which is also a manipulative.  I began using an awesome video from BrainPop Jr.  The students watched the video on the SMARTBoard.  Here I have provided a link to access the video...


SECONDLY:

I made solid and liquid poems and displayed them on the board.  I read them first and then we read them together.
Liquids Poem
Solids Poem

I also made a mystery box that included a variety of solids and liquids for the students to come up, touch, and look at.  I demonstrated how solids are hard and do not take the shape of its container.  I demonstrated how liquids are wet and do take the shape of their container.  I poured each liquid in a clear plastic cup for the students to see.

Mystery Box
Inside the Mystery Box

LASTLY:

We made...... OOBLECK!!!!!

The students had the opportunity to get the effect of a solid and a liquid at the same time.










No comments:

Post a Comment